“Exploring Motivation and Facilitating Change”
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a person-centred counselling style for addressing the common problem of ambivalence about change. Course is currently only delivered online.
The course will provide opportunities to observe and practice the approach in a protected environment. By the end of the course participants will feel able to start using Motivational Interviewing (MI) in their work settings.
Please note, MI does not have an evidence base for working with people with significant learning difficulties.
The two day (or equivalent to) course introduces participants to the theory, spirit and principles in using MI to help people make positive change. The training will use a range of methods including didactic teaching, live demonstrations, audio, video and coaching. The training will aim to create a curiosity to learn more and develop practice.
This course will be delivered by a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) who has worked and trained across a wide range of settings. Attendees must fully attend both days of the course. We also invite all attendees to practice forums post 6 months of attending the course.
The aim of the 2 day (or equivalent to) programme aims to equip delegates to:
- Understand Motivational Interviewing (MI) skills and processes involved in how people change behaviour
- Practice core communication skills
- Understand and practice responding to change talk and sustain talk
- Exchanging information
- Developing a change plan
- Integrating skills into current practice
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at any professional working with adults, young people, children or families, where behavioural or attitudinal change is needed or desired. The course will provide opportunities to observe and practice the approach in a protected environment. By the end of the course, participants will feel able to start using MI in their work settings.
This course is also suitable as a refresher/update for people who trained in MI some time ago. We do not recommend anybody who has has attended MI training in the last 3 years to attend this.
How this the course delivered?
These courses will be delivered using Zoom. This is very easy and safe to use regardless of your level of IT skill.
You will need a device with a microphone and camera together with a suitably fast internet connection. Although mobile devices and tablets can be used, we recommend the use of laptop or desktop PC for the best experience. Some devices provided by employers may have restrictions in place. Please use this test link (https://zoom.us/test) to check your set up before booking.
You will be sent joining instructions including all the necessary login links, passwords and guidance on how to use the relevant functionality 48 hours prior the course start date.
Should you have any concerns about the accessibility of remote delivery please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can best help you.
The course costs £200 PP regardless of mode of delivery.
There are currently limited number of funded places available for health and social care staff working in the London Boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, City & Hackney, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest. Please note booking a funded place and not turning up will incur a £200 charge.
Dates and how to apply
Below are the current course dates. please click on the course date you wish to attend to book your place. We now offer the training in 3 different formats;
- 2 days face to face,
- 3 short days virtually
- 4 half days virtually
Registration will be completed via Eventbrite. Delegates must attend all the date
- FACE TO FACE- DAY 1: Wednesday 28th September 2022, 09:30- 16:30. Day 2 Wednesday 5th October 2022 09:30-16:30. Must attend both dates
- VIRTUAL EVENT- Day 1: Thursday 27th October 2022, 1300-1630 Day 2: Thursday 3rd November 2022, 1300-1630 Day 3: Thursday 10th November 2022, 1300-1630 Day 4: Thursday 17th November 2022, 1300-1630. Must attend all four days
- VIRTUAL EVENT- DAY 1: Tuesday 22nd November 2022, 0930-1430 Day 2: Tuesday 29th November 2022, 0930-1430 Day 3: Tuesday 6th December 2022, 0930-1430 Must attend all three day
- VIRTUAL EVENT- Day 1: Thursday 23rd February 2023, 0930-1300 Day 2: Thursday 2nd March 2023, 0930-1300 Day 3: Thursday 9th March 2023, 0930-1300 Day 4: Thursday 16th March 2023, 0930-1300 Must attend all four days
- FACE TO FACE- Day 1: Wednesday 15th March 2023, 0930-1630 Day 2: Wednesday 22nd March 2023, 0930-1630 Must attend both days
* IF COURSE FULLY SUBSCRIBED CLICK ON ONE ONE OF THE DATES ABOVE AND ADD NAME TO WAITING LIST