Introduction to Trans Awareness:
Remote delivery training session
‘Introduction to Trans Awareness’ is an entry-level, two part training session that introduces the key information people need to know to support trans colleagues or to work with trans clients or pupils.
At the end of the session, delegates will have:
■ An appreciation of how sex, gender and sexual orientation interact
■ Improved understanding of trans identities, terms and language
■ A basic grounding in the key laws relating to trans people
■ Increased awareness of trans experiences and ways to be trans inclusive
■ Increased confidence in working with trans colleagues/clients/students
■ Information about helpful resources
Timings: The session is delivered remotely, split into two two-hour parts
The session is based around interactive exercises, encouraging participants to get involved in thinking through what trans means and ways to achieve equality and inclusivity in practice .
Introduction and Expectations
The Wider Context
● Sex, gender and sexual orientation – how do they interact?
Language and Terminology
● What does ‘trans’ mean?
● The diversity of trans lives
● Key terms
● Straightforward guidance on managing language
The Law and Trans People
● The Equality Act (2010)
● The Gender Recognition Act (2004)
● Other laws that may apply
Becoming Trans Aware and Trans Inclusive
● Common good practice in trans equality and inclusion
● The real experiences of trans people
● How trans-related situations might appear in your workplace – developing a positive approach and confidence
● Gendered Intelligence resources
● Other organisations, free online resources and reports
Summary, Evaluation and Close