FREE Deaf Awareness and Introduction to British Sign Language (BSL) – six weeks course
We know many deaf people can experience social isolation and face reduced access to work and education because of barriers in communicating their basic needs and aspirations. The Bill Act 2022 recognises BSL as a language of England, Wales and Scotland in its own right. The BSL Act 2022 will create a more inclusive and accessible society, improving the lives of deaf people and helping public services to get it right.
Enabled Living are delivering a FREE Deaf Awareness and introduction to BSL course over six weeks. During the pandemic, many residents with sensory loss have faced increased isolation and we know there has been lack of accessible information for the residents in the Deaf community who use BSL. This course will help you to communicate with Deaf people and teach how to use basic BSL in everyday situations. During the course you will cover a variety of different topics including numbers & time, home and travel and the beginnings of a conversation.
By the end of the course learners will:
· Have an awareness and understanding of Deaf culture
· Understand the barriers faced by people with hearing loss
· Feel confident about communicating with people who are deaf or have hearing loss
· Understand that regions within the UK use different signs for words
· Be able to recognise and sign the alphabet and numbers
· Be able to ask and recognise and sign questions e.g. what, why, who, whose, how, how much, when?
· Be able to sign basic greetings and the beginning of conversations
Date: Every Thursday for six weeks – (All dates must be attended)
Thursday 6th October
Thursday 13th October
Thursday 20th October
Thursday 27th October
Thursday 3rd November
Thursday 10th November
Time: 2.30pm – 4.30pm
Venue: The Enabled Living Lounge, 200 Chargeable Lane Plaistow E13 8DW
To book your place contact Rukshana.Ahmed@enabledlivinghealthcare.co.uk