Please join us for the HCA in general Practice course on the 25th and 26th of August. Attendees should ideally attend both days.
09h00 – 12h00 Introduction to Diabetes
- Understanding diabetes and common symptoms Taking Weight, BMI, waist circumference ratio Urine Dipstick. How to take a blood sugar.
- QOF indicators and diabetes NICE guidelines
- Blood results and what they can show
- Blood glucose control and measurement
- How to recognize signs of vascular disease and neuropathic conditions
- Performing a Part 1 diabetes foot exam
- Completing QOF template for diabetes
- Recognising hypoglycaemia and its treatment and management
13h00 – 16h00 Asthma and COPD
- Overview of Asthma and COPD
- Anatomy and physiology of the lungs and respiration
- Factors affecting normal lung function
- Identifying common signs and symptoms associated with respiratory conditions.
- Explore conditions that may be associated with breathlessness.
- What is spirometry and how to care for equipment
- Use of Sats monitor and peak flow meter.
- Educating patients on inhaler technique
- Completing QOF template for respiratory review
- Overview of drugs used to treat asthma
- When to alert senior clinicians
- Recording and reporting
Self directed study
- Audio recording – Safeguarding Adults Level 3
- Audio recording – Infection control in general practice