North East London
As part of the Long-Term Plan, Primary Care Networks (PCNs) and General Practices are encouraged to build a team of people with diverse skills and capabilities to support increased access for patients, alleviate pressures on existing staff, and improve the quality of care and services. The Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS) provides PCNs with funding for some of these roles. Under the Primary Care Network DES, networks are able to recruit new roles to expand their care team with NHSE&I with a forecast of 26,000 additional staff working in general practice by 2024.
The aim of the scheme is to build and utilise the additional roles to solve the workforce shortage in general practice. Whereas the funding will be for new roles being introduced within PCNs, each network will have the flexibility to determine which roles form a core list they require based on their patient population requirements.
This website offers information, tools and links to help with the understanding of the various roles and how they support primary care.
Click on the roles to see related information, tools and links.
Click Here for the Maximum Reimbursement Amounts per role for 2022/23
|Role||Agenda for change band||Maximum reimbursable amount per role 1 April – 30 September 2022 £||Maximum reimbursable amount per role 1 October – 31 March 2023 £|
|Digital and transformation lead||8a||65,002|
|First contact physiotherapist||7-8a||57,318||59,076|
|General practice assistant||4||31,746|
|Health and wellbeing coach||Up to 5||36,428||38,187|
|Mental health practitioners*||5 / 6 / 7 / 8a (depending on the individual registered clinician providing the service)||14,993 – 31,622||19,094 – 32,501 Grade 4 dropped from 1 October|
|Social prescribing link worker||Up to 5||36,428||38,187|
|Trainee nursing associate||3||26,418||28,177|
Further Useful Links, Tools and Documents
- ARRS roles in PC New Roles in Primary Care Guidance – This Health Education England Primary Care National Toolkit has been created to enable PCNs to develop their workforce. It refers not only to ARRS roles but to all new roles in Primary Care.
Additional Roles Overview
- PCN Additional Roles – The purpose of this document is to provide an overview of each of the roles available for reimbursement via the Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS) and how these roles may be used in Primary Care Networks (PCNs), that should assist in considerations for your workforce planning.
PCN Requirements and Entitlements
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service – Contract specification 2022/23
- Supervision for roles recruited through the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS)
- ARRS Roles – Guidance on supervision, training and responsibility
NHS AHP Careers in North East London – Short Feature