Our course is delivered by Deaf trainer Audrius Kiminius from BSL Now! alongside a communication worker.
Our Deaf Awareness and introduction to British Sign Language (BSL) course teaches you how to communicate with Deaf people and how to use basic BSL in everyday situations. During the course you will cover a variety of different topics including numbers & time, home and travel and the beginnings of a conversation.
By the end of the course learners will:
- Have an awareness and understanding of Deaf culture
- Understand the barriers faced by people with hearing loss
- Feel confident about communicating with people who are deaf or have hearing loss
- Understand that regions within the UK use different signs for words
- Be able to recognise and sign the alphabet and numbers
- Be able to ask and recognise and sign questions e.g. what, why, who, whose, how, how much, when?
- Be able to sign basic greetings and the beginning of conversations
Date: Every Thursday for six weeks – (All dates must be attended)
- Thursday 2nd November
- Thursday 9th November
- Thursday 16th November
- Thursday 23rd November
- Thursday 30th November
- Thursday 7th December
Time: 3pm – 5pm
Venue: The Enabled Living Lounge, 200 Chargeable Lane, Plaistow E13 8DW
Cancellation and non-attendance:
This course is fully funded by Enabled Living however failure to attend all six dates will incur a £50.00 cancellation charge.