There is a single referral form for long COVID which must be used by all GPs across north east London.
The form has been uploaded to EMIS. Please see the instructions on how to access and use the form and clinical template in EMIS:
Please see the instructions on how to access the form:
A new software tool called OneContact, has been rolled out to all practices who use EMIS or SystmOne. OneContact will make it easier for GPs to complete the new referral form. Patients can be sent a link to a long COVID questionnaire, which they complete using OneContact, and this pre-populates much of the referral form on behalf of the GP. This is as a result of ongoing conversations with GPs, LMCs, clinicians and patients to make referrals easier for both GPs and patients.
Getting started on OneContact
You should have received an email from OneContact with a link to complete your registration (please check your junk folder if you can’t find it in your main inbox!). Please click the link in the email to get started. Instructions on setting up with OneContact are here, and are also available via the ‘Help’ link in OneContact.
OneContact training video
Click here to watch a 10-minute training video on how to use OneContact.
The link to log in to OneContact is: https://app.onecontact.health/
To get set up on OneContact or if you have any queries, please contact the support team:
0113 512 1969
The referral process for Long COVID
As a reminder, the process for using it will be as follows (this is for people who are 18 and over only, a separate process is being worked up for children and young people):
- Patient contacts GP with symptoms of long COVID
- Following face-to-face consultation, GP decides to refer patient to long COVID pathway
- GP sends patient a text with link to the long COVID form in OneContact
- Patient completes the long COVID questionnaire on OneContact.
- The patient’s form response is sent into OneContact and can be exported as a PDF or filed into the patient record in EMIS Web.
- This populates the majority of the referral form.
- GP completes remainder of the referral form.
- Referral form is sent to the provider.
Instructions for using OneContact to follow this process are available here.
Please note the following:
- The existing long COVID referral form is long and time consuming for a GP to complete. The new form allows the patient to complete much of the information via OneContact, removing the burden from GPs.
- The data requested from using the single referral form is a national requirement – we can’t change this and so we are not able to make the form any shorter.
- Patients with learning disabilities, mental health conditions, illiteracy etc. will need to complete the form face-to-face with their GP and, if applicable, their carer.
- We are looking to make the OneContact tool available in different languages for patients who don’t have English as their first language.
- We can also provide PDF versions of the questionnaire for patients to complete, where they don’t have access to the internet.
Where to Send the Completed Form
The completed form must be attached to the referral. The arrangements differ slightly depending on which borough the patient resides in.
- Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge Patients
All referrals are via e-RS.
- City and Hackney Patients
All referrals are via e-RS.
- Newham and Tower Hamlets Patients: Long COVID Assessment Service, East London Foundation Trust
For email referrals: please send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
For Emis to Emis referrals:
Please use the referral target *Newham MSK- Single Point of Access and highlight that the referral is for the ELFT Long Covid service
- Waltham Forest Patients: Long COVID Assessment Service, North East London Foundation Trust
Please attach the form and send via the email address stated below:
WFADULTCHSREFERRALS (NORTH EAST LONDON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST) SPA – email@example.com
Details of local Long COVID services
North East London Foundation Trust – Barking, Havering and Redbridge
|Service Name||The Long COVID Service|
|Service Address||Long COVID Service, Acute and Rehabilitation Directorate
North East London Foundation Trust
|Main telephone number||0300 300 1708|
|Named Clinical Lead||Adam Wickenden – Service Manager|
Homerton University Hospital Foundation Trust – City and Hackney
|Service Name||City and Hackney COVID Rehabilitation Service (CoRe)|
|Service Address||Locomotor Department,
|Main telephone number||0207 683 4336|
|Named Clinical Lead||Stephanie Poulton
East London Foundation Trust (ELFT) Newham and Tower Hamlets
|Service Name||Long COVID Service, Tower Hamlets and Newham|
|Service Address||Shrewsbury Road Health Centre
|Main telephone number||N/A|
|Named Clinical Lead||Andrew Cook
North East London Foundation Trust – Waltham Forest
|Service Name||Long COVID Assessment Service|
|Service Address||North East London Foundation Trust
34 Hawkwell Court
|Main telephone number||0300 300 1710|
|Named Clinical Lead||Nicky Walpole (interim)
Assistant Director Adult CHS Planned Care